Muwisa Temple, Gangjin, South Korea
308, Muwisa-ro, Seongjeon-myeon,
Gangjin-gun, Jeollanam-do, Republic of Korea
Muwisa is a temple I visited once long
ago — so long ago that the memory has grown hazy — yet it left a strong enough
impression that I filed it away as a place one simply must stop at when
traveling through this part of the country. It was only later, after learning
more about the Geungnakjeon hall at Muwisa, that I found myself making the
journey a second time, with a far clearer sense of purpose than I had carried
on my first visit. Muwisa Temple, located in Gangjin County, South Jeolla
Province, cannot be reached by public transportation. Apparently, the buses
stopped running some time ago due to a lack of visitors. Left with no other
option, I took a taxi to the parking area, and from there followed a gently
rolling hillside path up into the temple grounds.
Passing through the iljumun and haetalmun gates and climbing a short flight of steps — not particularly steep — the National Treasure No. 13, the Geungnakjeon hall of Muwisa, comes into view directly ahead. The principal hall of the temple is a single-story, single-eave wooden structure with a column-head bracket system (jusimpo) and a gabled roof, spanning three bays across the front and three bays deep — not unlike a smaller version of the Daeungjeon at Sudeoksa Temple. This building was the reason I had come. And so I stood at a respectful distance, turning my gaze this way and that, studying it carefully from every angle. It does not carry the imposing grandeur of the Daeungjeon at Sudeoksa, and yet it struck me as a complete work of art in itself — nothing to add, nothing to take away.
Muwisa is said to have been founded in
617 CE, the thirty-ninth year of Silla King Jinpyeong's reign, by the great
monk Wonhyo. It was subsequently rebuilt in 875 CE, the first year of Silla
King Heongang's reign, by the national monk Doseon, and went through multiple
rounds of reconstruction during the Goryeo dynasty before reaching its present
form. The Geungnakjeon in particular was erected in 1430, the twelfth year of
King Sejong's reign during the Joseon dynasty, under the patronage of Hyoryeong
Daegun, a son of King Sejong, and stands as a foundational reference point for
early Joseon architecture. Among all surviving wooden structures in Korea,
those built during the late Goryeo and early Joseon periods rank among the oldest
still standing, and it is generally the case that any building confirmed to
date from this era is designated a National Treasure — the Geungnakjeon at
Muwisa is no exception.
During restoration work in 1956, a set of wall paintings covering all four interior walls of the Geungnakjeon was discovered — believed to have been created around the same period as the hall itself and now designated National Treasure No. 1315. When further repair work was carried out in 1974, the paintings were carefully detached from the walls, and a dedicated conservation pavilion was subsequently built on the grounds to house and display them separately. After taking in the Geungnakjeon, one's eye is drawn to a stele standing with considerable presence to the right. This, too, is no ordinary monument — it is the Stele of the Great Master Seongak, a Goryeo-period artifact designated National Treasure No. 507. Memorial steles with their inscriptions fully intact are uncommon, but this one has been preserved in its entirety, text and all.
Muwisa sits at the foot of Duryunsan
Mountain, but it is not a temple buried deep in the forest — the surroundings
are open and unenclosed, and depending on the weather, the place can take on a
somewhat spare and wistful quality. Perhaps that is why, as I spent time there,
I kept imagining what it must look like toward the end of the day, as evening
settles in. What kind of scene would unfold as darkness began to fall across
that wide, open view from within the grounds? With these pleasant thoughts
turning in my mind, I made my way back down from Muwisa, passing construction
work already underway to expand the parking area and install new visitor
facilities. My sincere hope is that when I return someday, whatever new
additions may have taken shape by then, the quiet and beautiful character that
defines Muwisa today will have been left undisturbed.
If you would like to experience a unique side of Korea,
the "Land of the Morning Calm," please feel free to reach out. I host
small, private guided tours tailored for international visitors.
Contact: 7sevensmart@gmail.com
https://korean-heritage-trail.blogspot.com/
https://www.photonuri.com
댓글 없음:
댓글 쓰기