2026년 4월 30일 목요일

Daeheungsa Temple, Haenam, South Korea

Daeheungsa Temple, Haenam, South Korea

400, Daeheungsa-gil, Samsan-myeon, Haenam-gun, Jeollanam-do, Republic of Korea

Daeheungsa is a temple that sits at a genuinely considerable distance from Seoul, where I live. Perhaps it is precisely that distance that makes every visit feel like a small adventure — the anticipation builds naturally when a destination is not easily reached. By public transport, the journey requires several transfers before one finally arrives at the temple parking lot, and from there, a walk of some three to four kilometers along a mountain path still lies ahead before the temple precinct comes into view. Yet that very remoteness, I have come to believe, is part of what makes Daeheungsa feel so fresh and new each time I arrive.















Nestled in the foothills of Duryunsan Mountain in Haenam County, at the southernmost reaches of South Jeolla Province, Daeheungsa is distinguished by an unusual layout that divides the precinct into three distinct zones — the Northern Compound, the Southern Compound, and the Separate Compound — and is historically celebrated as the spiritual home of the great monk Seosan Daesa. During the Imjin War, it was Seosan who broke the Buddhist prohibition against taking life and rallied an army of warrior monks to resist the Japanese invasion; and it was here at Daeheungsa that he established his supreme military headquarters. The temple has carried that legacy of patriotic Buddhism ever since. After Seosan's death, his robe and bowl were passed down to Daeheungsa and are now preserved in a dedicated relic hall within the precinct. Among the temple's other treasures are calligraphic inscription boards by the celebrated calligraphers Yi Samman and Yi Gwangsa, as well as the renowned master Chusa Kim Jeonghui.















The origins of Daeheungsa are transmitted through several historical sources. The earliest founding record attributes the temple's beginnings to Maniram Hermitage, said to have been established in 426 CE — the seventh year of Baekje King Guisin's reign — by the Silla monk Jeonggwan. Another tradition holds that the monk Ado Hwasang founded the temple in 544 CE, the fifth year of Silla King Jinheung's reign. Records further indicate that the eminent monks Jajang and Doseon each participated in subsequent reconstruction, and the cumulative weight of that long history permeates every corner of the grounds. The layout of the precinct is unlike anything found at most Korean temples — unusual and quietly disorienting in a way that stays with the visitor long after leaving. It is the kind of place that draws you to stop, turn around, and look again; and before you realize it, an hour has passed in wandering from one corner of the complex to another.















To reach Daeungjeon — the main hall — from within the precinct, one must descend a slope and cross a small stream, with temple buildings arranged on either side of the water. I found myself puzzling over this configuration as I crossed, and then, climbing the stone steps to Daeungjeon and looking out in every direction, I understood: wherever the eye settles, it finds ease. Nothing jars, nothing intrudes. The placement is simply right. It is one of those moments that reminds you, once again, that the ancient principles of geomancy guiding the siting of these temples were not merely superstition — they were the accumulated wisdom of people who understood, deeply and intuitively, how a building should relate to its land.















Today Daeheungsa serves as the head temple of the twenty-second district of the Jogye Order of Korean Buddhism, with numerous subsidiary temples in the surrounding region. Several of these affiliated hermitages are themselves of considerable antiquity, housing important artifacts and relics. Among them, Bukmireukam Hermitage is said to hold several national treasures of the highest classification, and I have long wanted to visit — but reaching it requires a full ascent to the summit of Duryunsan, and each time I have stood at the foot of that climb, I have told myself that I will come back when I have more time. I have told myself this more times than I can count.















On my way out after the visit, I noticed a photograph displayed in the temple administrative office — Daeheungsa blanketed in snow. Heavy snowfall is not common here, but that image stayed with me: so this is what the temple becomes in winter. And then it struck me that every one of my visits to Daeheungsa had been in spring. What, I began to wonder, does Daeheungsa look like in autumn? Situated as it is at the southernmost tip of the Korean peninsula, the autumn colors must arrive late — perhaps only in the deep weeks of the season. The thought of seeing this thousand-year-old temple on Duryunsan dressed in its autumn foliage has taken hold of me, and I find I very much want to come back and find out.

If you would like to experience a unique side of Korea, the "Land of the Morning Calm," please feel free to reach out. I host small, private guided tours tailored for international visitors.

Contact: 7sevensmart@gmail.com

https://korean-heritage-trail.blogspot.com/
https://www.photonuri.com

댓글 없음:

댓글 쓰기

The wooden heart of korea

A photographic journey through Korea's ancient Buddhist temples — fifty sacred sites, their centuries-old wooden architecture, and the N...