Songgwangsa Temple, Suncheon, South Korea
216-23,
Songgwangsaguksa-gil, Songgwang-myeon, Suncheon-si, Jeollanam-do, Republic of
Korea
The deeper one delves into Korean history, the more one comes to appreciate just how many times the sects of Buddhism have shifted and transformed over the centuries. As a student, I remember finding the names of those various Buddhist orders so difficult to memorize that I quietly gave up trying. Today, the dominant order of Korean Buddhism is the Jogye Order — and the head temple of that order is Songgwangsa. It is also recognized as the Sangha Jewel Temple among Korea's Three Jewel Temples, the monastery that represents the community of monks. The temple's name and location alone were enough to raise my expectations, and Songgwangsa proved every bit as worthy of its reputation.
To enter the temple precinct after passing through the main gate, visitors must cross a structure of singular design: a graceful architectural bridge that spans a natural stream left entirely intact, channeling the flow of water beneath rather than redirecting or concealing it. This arrangement amplified my sense of anticipation from the very first steps. Once inside, the first building one encounters is Daeungjeon, the main hall — rebuilt after being destroyed in a recent fire. Even at a glance, it was clear that the new structure, though imposing in scale, had not yet acquired the depth and patina that only time can bestow. Setting Daeungjeon aside, I began to wander in search of a cultural treasure I had failed to find on my previous visit — one that had been right before my eyes, yet somehow escaped me entirely.
Among the many halls radiating outward from the central axis of Daeungjeon, I was looking for one in particular: Guksajeon, National Treasure No. 56. I wandered here and there until at last the eaves of an extraordinary building caught my eye, and without a moment's hesitation I moved toward it. Guksajeon enshrines the portrait tablets of the sixteen National Preceptors who brought honor to both the temple and the nation. It is a modest structure — four bays across the front, three along the sides, with a gabled roof — but it is the oldest surviving wooden building within the temple precinct, a representative timber heritage of Songgwangsa that has stood since the Joseon period.
Perhaps because of its significance, Guksajeon is not open to the public every day. From the main grounds, only the very tips of its roofline are visible; the entrance lies within a restricted area, making it easy for most visitors to overlook entirely. On my previous visit, I had stood staring up at those distant eaves, wondering vaguely what lay beyond, and then turned away without pursuing it further. This time, however, seeing Guksajeon was the express purpose of my visit. I gave the small side gate a gentle push, slipped inside like a stray cat, and found myself standing before it — holding my breath, drinking in the quiet beauty of this small but remarkable building with everything I had.
The thought that struck me as I stood before Guksajeon was simple: "Small as it is, it truly has something." Even as that thought formed, I was aware of a faint anxiety that someone might come running to shoo me away, and my feet were moving a little faster than I intended. After taking my fill of the view, I drifted back through the grounds in a kind of satisfied daze, and eventually settled onto the ledge beside the stone water basin next to Daeungjeon. From there, the temple precinct looked deeply at peace. As for the history of Songgwangsa itself — the head temple and Sangha Jewel Temple of the Jogye Order — several founding legends exist, but the most reliable records indicate that after its initial establishment, the temple was restored in 1125, the third year of Goryeo King Injong's reign, by the monk Seokjo. It then fell into ruin and lay abandoned for some five hundred years, until the temple of Gilsangsa was newly established on the site and the monk Jinul relocated his community of meditative practice — the Jeongye Gyeolsa — here. Over nine years of dedicated reconstruction under Jinul's guidance, the temple was entirely transformed, taking on the form that has come to be known as Songgwangsa.
The centuries that followed brought further hardship. Most recently, in the upheaval of the Yeosu-Suncheon Incident of 1948 and the Korean War, the heart of the temple complex — centered on Daeungjeon — was consumed by fire. Through subsequent restoration and reconstruction, Songgwangsa has grown into the form it holds today, firmly established as one of the most important monasteries in Korean Buddhism. Like most temple complexes set within beautiful natural surroundings, Songgwangsa wears each season differently, offering a distinct character with every visit. As I prepared to leave, a thought came to me unbidden: does it snow at Songgwangsa in winter? And if it does, what must it look like then? If snow falls on Songgwangsa, I thought, I would very much like to come back one winter and find out.
If you would like to experience a unique side of Korea, the "Land of the Morning Calm," please feel free to reach out. I host small, private guided tours tailored for international visitors.
Contact: 7sevensmart@gmail.com
https://korean-heritage-trail.blogspot.com/
https://www.photonuri.com
댓글 없음:
댓글 쓰기